2017 SUMMER SCHEDULE
5 June through 11 August
What is Two Wheelers Club
Two Wheelers Club is for kids 5 through 8 who want to learn to ride, improve on their fundamentals, or gain the confidence and stamina needed for adventure riding. The emphasis of TWC is obtaining the balance and coordination needed to ride on two wheels, and to master the fundamentals of starting, stopping, and controlled forward movement. It’s also an opportunity for young riders to gain confidence in their riding skills before tackling the more challenging rides of Adventure Riding Camp.
Different Skills, Different Groups
Each week Two Wheelers Club is organized into two groups of riders. One group consists of Novice riders, here to learn the basics of riding. They work on fundamentals most of the week and by week’s end should be able to take short rides around the neighborhood. The second group contains Beginner riders who can ride independently but need further skills development and confidence before heading out on longer rides. This group takes short neighborhood rides once or twice daily while also working on skills development at our clubhouse. Both groups of riders have plenty of off-bike fun at camp and on local walking field trips – TWC isn’t boot camp on bikes! We assign kids to a group based on the information provided to us at registration and after observation.
TWC is for Novice and Beginner riders only. Kids under age 6 who are beyond these skill levels are welcome to ride with TWC and help their peers learn to ride, but they will not be engaging in rides they might consider long or challenging.
- Full-Day All weeks of Two Wheelers Club include a full-day session. 8:30 to 4:00 daily. Afternoon extended camp available from 4:00 to 5:30. Lunch option available.
- AM Half-Day Available Weeks 6 through 10. 8:30 to 12:30 daily. Lunch option available.
- PM Half-Day Available Weeks 6 & 7. 12:00 to 4:00. Afternoon extended camp available from 4:00 to 5:30. Lunch option available.
- Girls-Only Week 5 is our Girls-Only week in both Two Wheelers Club and Adventure Riding Camp.
Each day of the week provides a mix of on-bike training and practice and off-bike opportunities to play and put aside learning to ride for a while. The day’s schedule is flexible, allowing the kids and coaches to figure out what’s best at any given time – some groups of kids are eager to ride as much as possible while others are more comfortable with a more relaxed pace.
DAILY SCHEDULE The schedule for a typical day is:
- 8:30 to 9:00 Arrival and check-in (full-day and morning half-day).
- 9:00 to 9:30 Warm-ups to make sure everyone’s comfortable and ready to get started.
- 9:30 – 12:00 Each day’s bicycling activities begin with a bike and helmet check. The rest of the morning is spent in 30 to 45 minute skills training sessions, with snack, restroom and play breaks between each session.
- 12:00 to 1:00 Lunchtime, playground play, free riding. Pickup for morning half-day riders; arrival for afternoon half-day riders.
- 1:00 – 3:30 During the afternoon we usually leave the clubhouse area for an adventure in the neighborhood. There are many things to discover nearby, including other area parks, nature trails in the Presidio, or even destinations accessible with a quick Muni ride. Afternoon half-day participants at the Novice level will stay at the clubhouse for riding practice.
- 3:30 – 4:00 Story and play time. Each day ends with a quiet period devoted to reading a bike-themed story and discussing what was learned during the day. The remaining time is devoted to free play until pick-up.
- 4:00 Pick-up.
- 4:00 – 5:30 Extended Camp. This is an opportunity to practice riding skills, play games, read, or work on bikes with the coaches.
Once kids have successfully completed Two Wheelers Club they may continue their bicycling adventures by attending Adventure Riding Camp (ARC). Enrollment in ARC is limited to ages 6 and above; children age 5 may continue to ride with Two Wheelers where they can hone their riding skills. When registering children age 6 to 8 in Two Wheelers, you may also register for later ARC weeks; however, Wheel Kids reserves the right to hold a child in Two Wheelers Club if his/her skills are not sufficient for ARC activities. For multi-week registrations we recommend two weeks of TWC, especially for kids starting off at Novice level. If you combine three or more weeks of Two Wheelers and ARC, the multi-week registration discount will be applied. Please contact us if you have questions about the potential for your child to move up to ARC.
Two Wheelers Club is for children age 5 through 8. For older children still needing to learn or refine their basic riding skills, please contact us about Private Lessons. We find it’s easier for older kids to learn with their peers rather than with the younger riders of Two Wheelers Club.
|Two Wheelers Club||Extended Camp|
|$475 full day
$290 half day
|Standard week: $45
Single day: $10/day
Discounts & Financial Aid
- Register for 3 or more weeks (weeks need not be consecutive): 10% discount. Half-day registration does not count toward multi-week discount.
- Sibling enrolled during the same week: 10% discount.
- Limited reduced price registration / financial assistance may be available. Please contact us for details.
Click here for our refund policy.
Transfers & Changes
Changing weeks after you’ve registered is possible if space is available. Changing to a week that’s full will result in your name being placed on the wait list in the order it was received – if space does not open in this case, no refund or credit will be provided. After May 1, changes to open weeks will be assessed a transfer fee of $40, payable before transfer is confirmed.
Friends & Siblings
We will try to accommodate friends or siblings who wish to ride together. However, for safety’s sake we need to make sure everyone is riding in the best group for their ability or that more advanced riders know that they won’t be riding to their full potential if they want to stay with a friend or sibling who’s a less skilled rider. If you’re registering along with a friend for the same week(s) and wish to ride together, please let us know.
If your desired week(s) fills prior to your registration please proceed with the ActivityHero registration process; once you’ve filled in the information you’ll be added to the wait list. Open spaces will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. If a space becomes available we will contact you to inquire if you’re still interested in registering. If you decline or respond after 24 hours of notification you will be removed from the wait list for that particular week.
Enrollment & Attendance
We ask that every effort be made to have your child attend on the first day of the week when we review rules, get acquainted, and assess the skill level of all our riders.
We cannot make exceptions to our age limits.
* Schedule and events are subject to change. Minimum registration of 8 participants per week is required. Registered participants will be notified of cancellation due to insufficient registrations; a full refund will be provided. See Refunds page for refund policy for all other circumstances. A waitlist will be available once registration is full.
- Sign up for the lunch option when you register for camp.
- Sorry, no substitutions available. The sandwich type you choose will be provided each day.
- Week-long option only; day-at-a-time option not available.
- Cost: $40/week.
- We still recommend including a few snacks in your kid’s backpack. No camp eats like Wheel Kids!